Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Bionic Woman Doll





I'm not gonna lie.  I was a huge fan of Barbies.  Even had a plastic wardrobe box to store my dolls and their clothing.  I had Skipper too...the pre-pubescent Barbie...for some reason the manufacturers felt Skipper was also too young for bendable legs too.  Never got that...

Anyway, one of my favorite shows to watch in the 70's was the Bionic Woman.  That "Da na-na-na-na-" sound when she ran or jumped.  So imagine my excitement when they came out with a Bionic Woman doll...sweet!

I think I got my Bionic Woman doll for my birthday...I don't remember exactly...But I do recall opening the packaging and pulling her out.  Immediately I pulled up her shirt sleeve so I could roll back the rubber "skin" that revealed the 'bionics' behind her strength.  She was extra flexible too.  I mean just not at the knees like Barbie...ankles, elbows, hands...the works...she was, in my young mind, the Cadillac of Barbies...

Except for one noticeable flaw...I had shit loads of Barbie clothes and Bionic Woman was huge.  Apparently the marketing geniuses at Bionic Woman Doll Inc. thought way ahead on how they'd upsell that broad...make her big.  Giant feet, giant body relative to Barbie.  Even bigger than Ken in case those moronic girls think they can substitute anything.

So my Bionic Woman had one change of clothing.  I remember she had these big ugly yellow espadrilles with a kinda pilgrimish dress.  Dumb.  I soon got bored of her and only used her in reserve to 'rescue' my Barbies as their Malibu Jeep plummeted into a canyon....

"Da na-na-na-na"....


See ya...

No comments:

Post a Comment