Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Muffin


My family dog's name was Muffin.  She was a cockapoo.  Ever seen one?  She had a fluffy coat...Cream colored.  Yeah...that's her...bottom right.  Sorry for the poor quality shot.  She was active.

Muffin was a cute puppy.  But as she began realizing she was living in a house with six kids she began to tow the line so to speak.

She often slept at the end of our beds.  But not in a sweet way.  In a possessive, "Don't move your feet or I'll bite your ass" kind of way.  Still remember jamming my feet into the covers, hearing a growl...then muted mauling through the blankets.

Ah yes.  But I liked to return the favor to Muffin.  I'd come behind her as she ate and say really loudly, "WHATCHA DOIN' MUFFIN?!"  And she turn and snarl from her bowl.  Bearing every tooth in her head as she chewed making a slow, deliberate, "NEEEAHM, NEEEAHM..." sound.  I used to chuckle at that...

Muffin always bolted too.  But we didn't mind.  She'd roam our neighborhood for the day.  Come back home when she damn well felt like it.  Given how crazy our house was, can't say I blame her.  Especially neat was when I was out walking with neighborhood friends.  They'd point and say, "Hey Trina!  Isn't that your dog?" Almost implying I should chase her with a leash.  "Yep.  She'll be home for dinner." was all I'd say as I shrugged...

Muffin had some cool tricks too.  No.  I mean cool as crap.  She'd "shake", "play dead"...but did your family dog ever do wheelies while peeing?  No shit!  No training or anything.  I was taking her out one day and watched in amazement as she expertly hiked her hind legs in the air and began walking on her front legs.  Not kidding.  Ask any of my siblings pictured above.  They'll tell you.  It was funny and cool in our yard...quite embarassing when out on walks.  She'd pop a wheelie while peeing and the neighbors would stare...confused.  Probably wondering who the hell taught her the trick.  One drawback to her trick was she'd sprinkle her front legs sometimes...it depended on how high she went...

Muffin slept in a crate downstairs some nights.  Usually when she had an accident in the house.  This didn't please her.  I'd put her in her crate.  She'd be visibly annoyed....pouting.  I'd say extra cheerfully, "HAVE A GREAT NIGHT MUFFIN!" and flip the light switch really fast.  That used to really piss her off.  I know because I'd flip the light back on...There she'd be bearing every tooth in her head, ready to kill me.  Snarling...haha...Good ole' Muffin.

Yep.  Mean as crap.  My sister reminded me she lived to the ripe age of 18 years.

See ya...

No comments:

Post a Comment